GPL version in private close-sourced project?

Hello!

May one use GPL version on own website (without distribution) with closed sources that provides paid services?
If no then what about case of provision only non-paid services?
If again no, must I open source code for whole website or only for GUI?
Also, interesting moment: in case of websites, GUI’s source is always open (may be downloaded, etc.). What about that?

Thank you!

Hello,

Generally, this is quite complex legal question.

Firstly, you can use GPL version of Webix library for your website that provides paid services.

But if you are using GPL-licensed Webix components, your application (Web-site) must also comply to GPL terms, i.e. you need to be ready to deliver source code of your application (open it) on demand (if someone will ask you for it).

If you use GPL v3 you must provide the source code for the whole website (app, service).

Thank you very much for your explanation.

Hi @Nikka, some clarification questions about the license:

1. A previous answer confirmed that one can “use the GPL version of Webix for UI that communicates via REST calls to a commercial backend”, but made no mention of the obligation to deliver the code of the entire app (including the server-side code!) to anyone who requests it. Can you please clarify that?

2. Which version of GPL does Webix use? http://webix.com/licenses only mentions “GPL”, not “GPLv3” explicitly.

3. Is the Web Developer License different from the GPL version that Webix uses, or just a simplified version of it? When does the Web Developer License apply?

Thank you for your answers; creating an FAQ regarding licensing questions would be great. I’ve suggested Webix to the Meteor community but licensing is a problem for some developers.

Hello @dandv,

1. GPLv3 license is applied only to the client side without affecting the backend. You can use your server-side code under any type of license.

2. Webix uses GPLv3 version. We will specify the number of version on the"pricing" page.

3. Webix Developer License is a commercial license that allows using the Webix library for commercial distribution without the obligation to deliver the code of the entire app to anyone who requests it. Moreover, if you use Webix Developer License you get pro features and subscription to library minor and major updates within a year.

We are working over adding the page with FAQ. Thanks for your ideas and comments.

Thank you @Nika. Just confirming that I understood point #1 correctly - if I use the GPLv3 version of Webix in a commercial application, and someone asks me for the un-minified source code of the application, what part of the application do I have to provide? The client-side, or both the client-side and the server-side?

I believe that only client side part of the app is affected by GPL. Basically, it is only code which interacts with Webix API.

Code that resides on server side and do not interact directly with Webix components is not affected by GPL license ( including the code that generates data for Webix components )

I’m not a lawyer, so that is my opinion only. You may need to contact an actual lawyer for the legal advice.