why should i prefer Webix to Kendo UI?

I’m new to Webix, but has exp in Kendo UI. Can someone throw me some light on why should one go for Webix over Kendo UI?

Hello,

I already asked Webix some questions and got answer as below:

Questions:

• Who are using Webix? Could you please tell us some case study?

• Can I see all features of Pro Edition on your demos?

• What different between support system tickets and asking on your forum? I know you always answer the ticket?

• What is the main reasons we should use Webix over KendoUI?

Answers:

We are glad that you are interested in using our library. Answering your questions:

1.  Most often Webix is used for CRM systems and data management systems. One of our major clients is Deutsche Bank. Very often Webix is used for internal projects, that’s why it’s pretty hard to show you the list of cases (companies don’t share it).

2.  Yes, of course, you may see all features of Pro Edition on our demos, please, follow this link: http://docs.webix.com/samples/60_pro/index.html ;

3.  The difference between support system tickets and asking on forum: with support system you are guaranteed to get an answer to your question with a minimum time expenditure. As we are focused on the customer, if we get a ticket, we are not only answering, but we are solving the problem.  

4.  Why Webix: our components are focused on performance. Application, made with Webix, will work faster. What concerns functionality, we have more opportunities for component configuration. Recently KendoUI stopped developing, while we are upgrading all the time.  

Why you can’t find lots of questions on StackOverflow: Webix is easier and intuitive in use; + our Forum is always open for your questions; so people prefer to ask there rather than to go to other recourse.

From my view, Webix has better performance but it seems to be that KendoUI has more features. KendoUI also has nice themes/skins. One more thing is Webix’s source code easy to read than KendoUI. Just my opinion.

Hope this help.

1 Like

Just as someone evaluating Webix, I would say one obvious difference is that Webix has a lot of layout functions. For example, you create row and column-based layouts, then embed widgets inside those layouts. It seems like, in fact, Webix might be designed for you to never bother writing an HTML layout, and instead, relying on Webix for your layout needs.

Kendo, in contrast, seems to encourage you to embed its widgets in a larger Bootstrap/Foundation/whatever page. Webix seems to support that too, but fewer people are doing it.

This is an easy-to-use and highly functional product. Was able to implement features very quickly. If I could rate it, I would give it 5 STARS out 5!!!

I’ve used a great many UI toolkits over the years, including just off the top of my head Dojo, ExtJS, YUI, Qooxdoo, dHTMLx, ActiveWidgets, Sencha Touch, Ionic, Onsen, Framework7, jQuery Mobile and Monaca. I’ve settled on Webix for all my development going forward (except at work, where we’re still heavily an ExtJS shop) for one big reason: simplicity.

Webix has one of the cleanest APIs I’ve seen and also one of the most consistent. There’s been many times where I’ve been like “hmm, I need to do X, but I’m not sure how”, then a few seconds later I’m like “ah, I bet it’s Y” and sure enough, it’s Y! That doesn’t happen with many other toolkits and it’s because the API for Webix is consistent and logical.

I also love how easy it is to get Webix in your project. There’s no need to install all sorts of modern JS tools, you don’t need to hook into this repository or that to get going (though you CAN pull Webix out with NPM if you want). It’s just download, two imports and you’re done. Want to change skins? Just change one import! No need to re-build CSS from a SASS or LESS or whatever else we’re supposedly supposed to all be using this week to make our lives “easier”. It’s simple with Webix, kind of like the “old” days (you know, the 2000’s) and I like that.

There’s one other BIG advantage, and that’s the fact that almost everything you do with Webix works on desktop as well as mobile without tons of branching code. If you don’t have the experience to know yourself then you’ll have to trust me that this is REALLY unusual! Most toolkits are targeted to mobile or desktop and to make your code work on both requires a lot of work on your part. That’s not the case with Webix. Sure, you may have to do some of that to make a UI that’s OPTIMAL on both, but the truth is if you’re a bit careful with what you do and how then the same code can run on both and do so well. Not not many other toolkits can say that.

Anyway, that’s my opinion. I’m a fan for sure :slight_smile:

We are migrating our application from old silverlight to html5 and were searching for a highly functional , easy to understand / use UI library. Tried numerous libraries ( KendoUI, Wijmo, dhtmlx, JQWidgets etc. ) and stopped at Webix.

Webix is fast. Works great on mobile and desktop. Easy to understand and easy to implement. Really like how it is structured.

The Documentation is nice although it covers mostly the basic stuff ( Like all the docs right ? :stuck_out_tongue: ). The Support doesn’t take much time to answer and is very kind.

I also use atm. the free version for my personal project.

I got Webix widgets into production faster than any other UI library. They perform well, look good and don’t break. It’s also a nice separation of concerns and consistent.