Difference between Data Editors and Normal(?) Data Items

Hello,

My ignorance is probably going to really show here, but I was hoping someone could explain to me the difference between the Data Edit Items and Normal Data Items. That may not make sense, so here’s an example.

The richselect control can be instantiated by using either “view:‘richselect’” or “editor:‘richselect’”. I don’t see what benefit the editor gives over a traditional view instantiation other than providing different load patterns.

Are there performance differences between the two?

Thanks

Those two types are defined for different scenarios.

If you need to show a editable form for the user, you are using view:“richselect”.

If you need to show a data list or a data grid for the user, where data is mostly for reading, with optional editing capabilities, then you are using datatable, list, etc. with editors enabled.

Also, if you have a dynamic number of records, using datatable with editor is more flexible as you can provide editor config once and it will work for any number of records.

Are there performance differences between the two?

If we are talking about tens of records, it probably doesn’t matter. If we talk about hundreds or thousands of records, editors in datatable will work much faster for sure.