Makefile - unclear how to show error

I have a server backend for the filemanager, but when I return the json for a filename I don’t want to allow during the makefile call, it never shows the end user the message, and just fails silently

I disallow spaces in the filename btw

{
  invalid: true, 
  err: "Some error message here"
}

the docs here Working with Server of UI Complex Widgets, File Manager Webix Docs don’t make it clear if a certain httpstatus is required, but I have tried 200, 400, 500 and all have no effect

Hello @jabberwock ,

To make it clear, by default the file is either added or nothing happens.
So, in your case you may need to customize the methods below to add errors handling.

• makefile(id, name) (Backend service) . Here, you could add en error handler. For example:
makefile(id, name) {
        const baseRequest = webix.ajax().post(this.url("makefile"), { id, name });
        baseRequest.catch(e => { /* do something custom */ })
         // keep default logic
        return baseRequest.then(r => r.json());
    }

This will work for request errors (404, 500, etc.) .

• Or, if your JSON response from the server looks like the example in the documentation (with invalid:true), then you will need to customize the makeFile(name) method in Operations service. In addition to the default logic, you may add your own error message.

Hi Mariya, that’s great thanks! I didn’t realise that you could override. In fact I still had to do some digging to see how to do it, and for others coming here I did

class CustomBackend extends fileManager.services.Backend {
                makefile(id, name) {
                    const baseRequest = webix.ajax().post(this.url("makefile"), { id, name });
                    baseRequest.catch(e => { alert(e.responseText) })
                    // keep default logic
                    return baseRequest.then(r => r.json());
                }
            }

and then

webix.ui({
                view: "filemanager",
                container: "fileManagerContainer",
                url: backendUrl,
                override: new Map([
                    [fileManager.services.Backend, CustomBackend]
                ])